Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Bleeding forever, uterine polyps and d&c's

Back story: I have been bleeding from my lady place since April 24th, 2011.(FML) I made an appoint mid May to get it figured out. Doc said PCOS (duh) and put me back on metformin and had me schedule a transvag ultrasound. No problem. I start taking the metformin and get my ultrasound. Ovaries are textbook PCOS ovaries. String of pearls, but not overly enlarged, both about 11(units of measurement that I forgot to ask) where anything above a 10 is enlarged. So slightly enlarged, but not too bad. The ultrasound tech checks out my uterus while she's in there and finds something that looks like freshly clotting endometrial blood or possibly a polyp. She doesn't think it's anything to worry about but something to watch so she puts it in the report for the Doc. I don't worry about it, if it's something the doctor is concerned about I'm sure I'll get a call from his nurse.

About three weeks after my initial appointment and starting metformin I'm still bleeding, not spotting, but full on slightly heavier than light flow but not enough to call a medium flow. (Right, so if you're confused, don't worry so am I. How bout this, one regular tampon every 5 hours or so during the day time and a pad over night, TMI? Great.) So I call the nurse up and leave my I'm still bleeding message. She calls back and says quit whining, "spotting is normal on the metformin." (She doesn't say quit whining but I can tell it what she's thinking, or at least that's probably what I would be thinking if I got that call from me.And the emphasis on spotting is mine) So I say, "Okay but I didn't say I'm spotting I said I'm bleeding, just as heavy if not heavier than when I started taking this med." She was like "ok, I'll relay that to the doctor." Not two hours later I get a call back saying I need to make an appointment with the Doc. This kind of surprised me I expected the same quit whining phone call.

So I make the appointment. I go in 100%  ready to start birth control, because dammit I want to stop bleeding. I throw that out there to the doc he comes back with provera, I say ok, then he says"Wait! Did you get an ultrasound?" me "yes" he looks it over and says "Ok, scratch that you need a D&C" me "for that polyp looking thing she found?" him "Yep" I'm only slightly taken aback because I knew that it was a possibility when I went in to see him that I would need one, but my likelihood break down looked something like this:

40% Birth control
25% Provera
15% Increase Metformin
10% Other drug therapy
 7% Wait it out you big baby
 3% D&C

So I had expected that one my be a possibility but I still wasn't ready to hear it. He orders my D&C with hysteroscopy on his computer and tells me that someone will be calling me to schedule it. I put my pants back on and go out to pay and tell my husband the 'good' news. We leave and I start texting everyone(okay not everyone, just the important ones) I know. I need support of the female variety. Mom is working nights, therefore can't be reached, my older sister is Aruba, my BFF is working and is hit or miss on replying so I'm left with just my little sister, which is fine I just wanted to talk to a lot more than her.

That appointment was on a Friday afternoon so I get to stew in my worries over the weekend waiting to schedule this thing. Google is not your friend people. Not when you're worried about something. Monday, sweet Monday comes. Earliest available is July 7th. Yay. 2.5 more weeks to worry about this. More updates to come I imagine. I go today to get the pre-surgery paperwork and sign the consent forms.

No comments:

Post a Comment